Popular Posts

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Doctor Who - "The Shakespeare Code"

WHOSCALE: 8.9 out of 10

The second episode of Series 3 was titled "The Shakespeare Code," (in reference to The DaVinci Code) and was penned by Gareth Roberts.

For Martha's first trip in the TARDIS, the Doctor takes her to the past to the year 1599 A.D., just as the Globe Theatre has been completed and Shakespeare is putting on "Love's Labours Lost."

The episode opens with a young man being attacked by witches, and its only a matter of time before trouble is afoot; The Doctor and Martha originally intend to stay only to see "Love's Labours Lost," but soon decide to stay longer when Shakespeare, after being cheered onto stage, announces that the following night he will debut a sequel, titled "Love's Labours Won."

The story unfolded quite well, in much the same way "The Unquiet Dead" did with the Ninth Doctor. The majority of the dialogue scenes were music-less, and when music was present, it was subtle enough that it didn't become a distraction. Furthermore, the entire length of the episode from start to finish was devoted to the problem at hand, with no side plots.

This episode also offered some great dialogue between The Doctor and Martha, such as when the Doctor attempts to explain how the future is in flux, and references "Back To The Future." Martha asked, "The film?" A smart-alec Doctor responds with, "No, the novelization. Yes, the film!"

I could find very little to complain about in this story, but if I had to point out one thing, it was the fact that Shakespeare was depicted as too much of a modern-aged man.

However, in spite of that minor drawback, the episode was well-executed and well produced, and certainly had the flavor of Doctor Who to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a really big fan of Doctor Who, past as well as present. I liked this story a lot as it was the first one to establish Martha as a proper character. I also enjoyed this story a lot as my favourite period of history is the Tudors. I'm fascinated by the clothes that people wore during that time, especially the ruffs round their necks.

    I thought Christina Cole made an excellent villan and when she was in Carrionite mode she was a bit unnerving. Dean Lennox-Kelly made a great Shakespeare as well.

    To sum up, I would give this story 7/10 because it didn't 100% roick my boat, but didn't totally bemuse me either. I thought the ending with the arrow on the Tardis door was funny too. A good story.

    ReplyDelete